20 August 2009

the bravest little lizard i know


ok. so, i've always been a fan of lizards and such. it probably comes from chasing them in our backyard when we were kids (alexis and keill, i'm sure you remember). but, after my latest experience, i have a new-found respect for the little guys.

about a week ago, i went out to my car before work. got in, started the engine, and noticed a little green gecko on my windshield. i poked at him from the inside of my car, he jumped down further on the windshield. i poked at him again, and he jumped onto the passenger-side windshield wiper. naturally, i was concerned for this little guy's life, but i was going to be late for work. so, i backed out of the driveway, assuming he would jump off at the first opportunity.

i drove up my street to the stop sign. he didn't budge. then, to the stoplight on the first major street. he didn't even flinch. i turned onto highway 1, which is pretty much just a normal sized street in las vegas, but with a speed limit of 55 mph. i slowly accelerated until i hit about 50. i could see the little guy holding on for dear life. his legs were fully extended and shaking in the wind, and it looked like he wasn't going to make it. i was so sad and totally pep-talking him through the windshield.

i had to stay with the flow of traffic and was slowly reaching 60 mph. i didn't think he was gonna make it. all of a sudden, he bounced from the windshield wiper onto the windshield. the force of the wind was then pushing him against the car. smart little bugger. i was so excited that i actually cheered for him out loud!

a few more blocks down the road, i pulled into work with the green gecko superhero still on my windshield. i gave him some props when i got out of my car. when i came back out after work, he was gone. i'm sure he retreated safely into the forest at the edge of the parking lot. all i know is he was the bravest little lizard i've ever seen. part of me wished he was still there when i came out.

2 comments:

Chels Allred said...

Awesome story. SO worth blogging about. haha. I love that gecko! What a trooper.

Alexis Poelman said...

i can't believe you took to the freeway with him on the shield! the animal-lover inside me is crying. but he prevailed! he previaled and i'm with you, tough little dudes, those lizards. lol.

something to remind me of me